Monday, May 31, 2004

Watercolors - 2

I majored in oils in school, for my bachelors. I had a split minor, watercolors and sports photo-journalism. I sold my camera after school and soon found that oils were not what I was really best at.

I never began my masters studies, but did have a brief stint as a seminarian. I have worked in watercolors for over twenty five years now. It is rare that I paint a thing and am not proud of my work. I had agreat professor in college. I do not remember his name, which at times irks me, but he taught me a good disciplene in working with the colors.

And during those twenty five years, I picked up maybe three new things that I set my palette to, as a rule. I remember just four years ago, when I was again trying a portrait, and there before me was a resemelence! I had worked the portrait for thirty five years and had never...NEVER had a resembelence. And since then I have painted over a hundred!

Theres a good chance I will paint again tomorrow. I know I will do a bit of gardening, and laundry, but I will keep in mind I painted today, and instantly someone walked away with my watercolor. I gave my work away, well not really gave it away... I donated it to a society I am involved with. But the thing is, someone wanted it, liked it, and thanked me for it.

Theres a connection between the fingers, and the eyes, and the brain... and the paper as well! I feel that connection as never before. All it took was twenty five years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home